Express Entry

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a popular immigration category for Canada’s foreign workers who wish to become permanent residents.

Temporary foreign workers with at least 12 months of full-time work experience are ideal candidates for permanent residence. Having obtained Canadian work experience, these individuals might have already settled into Canadian society and established important networks in their communities and their careers.

Since January 2015, Canadian Experience Class applications are processed through the Express Entry selection system for immigration to Canada. Eligible candidates must make an expression of interest in immigrating to Canada, create an online Express Entry profile, and receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence before they may make an application.

CEC Requirements

  • Have obtained at least one year of skilled, professional or technical work experience in Canada within 36 months of the application date; and Must attain required language levels in the language proficiency test depending on the level of the job.

  • Plan to live and work outside of the province of Quebec (individuals with work experience in Quebec and who plan to reside in Quebec may apply to the Quebec Experience Class)

  • The Canadian Experience Class requirements are based on a pass or fail model.the preference will be given to the applicants with highest scores in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Tool. If the minimum requirements are met, the applicant is eligible to enter the Express Entry pool.

  • Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student does not count under this program.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Class

    The Canada Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is the backbone of Canadian immigration. Federal Skilled Worker applications are assessed based on an applicant's ability to become economically established upon immigration to Canada. Federal Skilled Worker applications are being processed through the Express Entry immigration selection system. In order to apply under this provision, you must qualify fully in this program under the assessment grid and points system based on your age, education, work history, and other adaptability factors, with a current pass mark of 67.

    Experience: Have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation (National Occupational Classification skill level 0, A or B). Under this factor, candidates can be awarded up to 15 points for certain paid, skilled work experience that they have acquired in the last 10 years, but they must attain at least a score of 9 points in order to qualify.

    Age: Candidates can be awarded up to 12 points based on their age at the time of applying Education: Candidates can be awarded up to 25 points for your formal education.

    Language Skills: Candidates can be awarded up to 28 total points (24-first official language, 4-second official language).

    Arranged Employment: Candidates can be awarded up to 10 points if they have arranged employment in Canada that meets certain requirements.

    Adaptability: Candidates can be awarded up to 10 points for a few factors that show that they are adaptable to moving to Canada.

    Federal Skilled Trades Class

    The Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC) allows individuals with job offers or appropriate certification to obtain Canadian permanent residence in any Canadian province or territory other than Quebec.

    To be eligible, you must Plan to live outside the province of Quebec and meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening).

    The applicant should have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.

    He/she should also meet the job requirements for that skilled trade, as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) of your primary occupation, except for needing a certificate of qualification. In addition, the applicant should have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

    Skilled trades that are currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are categorized under specific groups of the NOC.

    Major group 72: industrial, electrical and construction workers

    Major group 73: maintenance and equipment operation workers

    Major group 82: supervisors and technical workers in natural resources, agriculture and related production

    Major group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

    Minor group 632: chefs and cooks

    Minor group 633: butchers and bakers